Mr. O came to understand that a 5-year-old child could comprehend the Gospel and receive Christ as Saviour. In 1937, at age 60, he incorporated CHILD EVANGELISM FELLOWSHIP in Chicago. Then he made contacts in Eastern PA and officially organized Child Evangelism Fellowship of Eastern PA, Inc. in 1938 in Philadelphia.
Mr. O was known as the modern-day weeping prophet, because he would often weep over the lost children of the world. Mathew 18 (pictured left) confirmed for him the importance of evangelizing children. Mr. O dreamed of an army of evangelists to children circling the globe.
Mr. Jesse Irvin Overholtzer
a.k.a. Mr. O
July 20, 1877 – August 6, 1955
The ministry of reaching children through Bible clubs began in Berks County in 1940. The clubs were called Y Bible clubs at that time. In 1955, it was incorporated as CHILD EVANGELISM FELLOWSHIP OF READING AND BERKS COUNTY, INC., though we are widely known as Good News Clubs. The building that serves as our office (pictured below) was purchased May of 1959. It was the former Frederick S. Jones Carriage House.
1307 Good Street
Reading, PA 19602